FOOT CARE FOR SENIORS
It’s normal for people to experience some foot problems as they age. But experts say that problems with feet can be the first sign of more serious medical conditions, particularly among older adults. Health problems, such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve issues, and circulatory disorders, may first be manifested in the feet. That is why it is important to pay attention to your feet and seek medical attention as soon as you notice a problem.
At Renuva Xtremity in Memphis, our podiatrist, Dr. Nathan Lucas, provides quality care for your feet and ankles and can help diagnose any issues you may be experiencing. If you have been noticing foot problems as you have gotten older, be sure to contact us. We can take a look at your feet to ensure that it is just a foot problem and help you treat it.
Here are some foot care tips for older adults:
- Practice good foot care. Check your feet regularly or have a member of your family check them for you.
- Keep blood circulating to your feet as much as possible. Do this by putting your feet up when you are sitting or lying down, stretching if you’ve had to sit for a long while, walking, having a gentle foot massage, or taking a warm foot bath.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit well to prevent pressures that can lead to friction and infection and keep your foot structure properly aligned.
- Avoid exposing your feet to cold temperatures.
- Don’t sit for long periods of time (especially with your legs crossed).
- Don’t smoke because it decreases blood supply and increases the chance of swelling and other circulatory problems.
If you are experiencing any foot problems, be sure to contact our foot care experts in Memphis to schedule an appointment!